October 9, 2012

Thermometers decorated with quilling

Today I would like to show you how a simple and ordinary object can be turned into a lovely gift — a wall thermometer like this one, for instance. I decorated it with a simple quilled pattern, and the only things I needed for this were a simple wooden room thermometer and a 12" x 12" (~30 x 30 cm) sheet of thick recycled paper.

First, I cut ~1/4"-wide paper strips (5 mm). Then I fixed the thermometer on a cork board covered with plastic food wrap, and started embellishing it by gluing quilled elements around its base. To make the task easier, I used pins to hold the decorative elements down until the glue has dried up. As you can see, some of the strips are corrugated thanks to my homemade crimper. The thermometer is about 10 5/8 inches long (23 cm). I'm pretty sure that it will be a nice addition on the wall of almost any room.

After completing this first thermometer and giving it away, I started receiving numerous "orders" for new ones :) My second thermometer I decorated with a floral motif using regular 1/8"-wide quilling strips (3 mm). The colors I have chosen for it (shades of beige) perfectly match the natural color of the wood. Size of this thermometer is approximately 10 1/2" x 3 3/8" (26.5 x 8.5 cm).

You can probably guess that these two are not the only quilling-decorated thermometers I made. Visit my blog soon, as I'm going to show off more of quilled thermometers in one of my future posts. And believe me, those will be more complex and more interesting :)

5 comments:

Sathya said...

Wow...so intricate detailing...Love it!!! Though your next project is more complex, you make it super easy for us by your awesome demos on each detailing...Awaiting to see those soon..

Ann Martin said...

Beautiful workmanship, Inna! You've turned ordinary objects into something special.

Artes de Nágela said...

Beautiful!
I loved them all!

Rad said...

superb!!

Inna D. said...

Thanks everyone very much!