December 9, 2012

Tutorial: How to make tendrils for paper quilling

In my quilling I often use tendrils (spirals). They are especially good for quilled tree trunks and branches, like in my Cherry blossom picture, for instance. They can be also used in cardmaking and scrapbooking for making intricate embellishments, like those on this Valentine's Day card or the pink Birthday greeting card. However, creating perfect tendrils for paper quilling is not as simple as it may look. Some of my readers asked me how I create tendrils for my quilling, so here we go, a tutorial on the subject :) In this short video I share my method of making tendrils using a needle tool and 1/16" & 1/8" strips. You can also use an awl, a thin knitting needle or even a toothpick. Don't be disappointed if you can't get it right right away, just keep practicing.

14 comments:

Pritesh Dagur said...

Oh thanks Inna. I too just finished making a project using same kind of spirals and used a needle tool for that :-) Good going. You were one of the first ones to inspire me into quilling, a teacher and someone to look up to :-)

Ann Martin said...

Wonderful video and crystal clear images - thank you!

Shylaashree said...

So kind of you to share the tutorial inna. as pritesh said you are inspiring teacher to many. thanks dear
Adhiraacreations

kalanirmitee said...

Wonderful video,Inna! Thanks for sharing.

Theepz said...

Oh!
Yo back! :)
Thank for the awesome video!

Unknown said...

thanks for sharing...i tried on a toothpick as i didnt hv my needle tool...i guess the thickness of the tool one uses makes a difference...none the less it came out lovely :)

Onirokosmos said...

........~......╭)))*~╮
╭───╮ ((( ^ - ^)))╭☆──╮
╰─    ..//"!"\ㄟ/   ─╯
 ╰─╯°~( )~~( )~°╰─╯ ☆ — —
MERRY CHRISTMAS & A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR, my friend! Kisses and regards from Greece :0)

Sathya said...

Oh Inna...Thanks much on the tute...Its much helpful. Somehow my dashboard doesnt showed this post...but now got to see...As Ann Martin said...its a perfect and clear images.

Inna D. said...

Dear readers! Thank you very much for your kind comments!

Anonymous said...

Hello Inna,
Happy New Year and the best of all from a person who respect your beautiful work.

Mrs. Skojec said...

I just found your site and am thrilled! We are doing a quilling project in school and I am a novice, so your tutorial is very helpful! Thanks for all the good advice and projects!

Unknown said...

Great tutorial :)
www.parchmentcraftqueen.blogspot.co.uk

Unknown said...

Thank you so much I didn't know how to make double colour tendrils.
http://at home can be fun.com

Artes de Nágela said...

Thanks so much for sharing!