October 25, 2014

Quilling: Illuminated Capital "L"

I was recently asked to make a quilled letter for a birthday present. Something not very complex and not too large so that could fit on a desktop. The present was meant for a person whose first name started with "L". This is how my first illuminated quilled letter was created.

I admire the quilled letters made by quilling artists like Sabeena Karnik and Sarah Yakawonis, but I had never done it myself. As always before starting to quill I did my little research, seeing a lot of illuminated and quilled letters on the Internet. After that I drew a sketch. The recipient was a lady and her favorite color was blue, that was the reason I used shades of blue and floral motifs for this project. I cut out a letter "L" from blue cardstock, glued it on а background and decorated with quilling according to my sketch. Asters, Bellflowers, Lily of the Valley, and other flowers embellish the letter. A blue butterfly adds a finishing touch to the project.

Size of the picture is 13 x 18 cm (5 1/8 x 7 1/8 inch), it is framed in a white shadow box with glass to last long.

15 comments:

Cherie said...

That is gorgeous. I keep meaning to quill my initials but haven't gotten around to it hyet

Sathya said...

Lovely quilling...as always Inna :)

Angel said...

This is sooo !! Gorgeous !
love the color and all the quilled elements.i would like to make one like this for my daughter :)

SUGANTHI said...

So very pretty!

ManuK said...

I could never grow tired of admiring your work, Inna! Everything is just perfect!

Hugs!
Manu

Paper Zen said...

L is for lovely! Beautifully done Inna!

Konfeta said...

super!

Unknown said...

This is a gorgeous way to make letter, as always it is beautiful.
Francine

WhiteRacoon said...

Very cute!
Lovely color combo, and pretty flowers =) Wish you quilled more and more ;)

Shylaashree said...

elegant as usual Inna

SHARAYU said...

Superb

Nati said...

Beautiful, Inna!!

Pily Nuñez said...

Very cute! Inna

Val said...

Inna,so elegant!

ursula Uphof said...

I have just found your blog via FB. Love the initial and your eggs. Will be back soon to look at your lovely projects. I haven't done quilling for about 2 years, and just started up again last week, so this is an inspiration to me. Am now a follower. Ursula xxx