August 3, 2008

DIY: Cutting paper strips for quilling

Home-made paper strips for quilling

I'd like to tell a little about the paper I use for quilling.

Special quilling paper is the best option, of course. It can be found in a huge variety of colors, thickness, widths and quality. This paper is pre-cut, the only thing you have to do is to lay it in front of you and let your creative side out. But... The problem with it is that you can buy quilling paper only in countries where quilling is popular. What do you think about this selection, for example: Quilling.com (Paper)?

Here in Israel the task of buying quilling paper isn't that easy, so I had to find another solution. I started with colored paper I found in the children's section of IKEA. The selection of colors is very limited, but it's pretty thick and good enough to begin with. I also tried to paint inkjet/laser paper with watercolors, giving it enough paint to make the edges colored, too. Most of my old works are made using painted paper. This way you can get any color you want, but a glue dissolves the paint and you finish up having not nice stains on your design. You have to use glue very gently, but sometimes this doesn't help, either. Moreover, the edges of paper strips remain a bit whitish. Now I use colored inkjet, fax or laser paper from a stationery shop: it's too thin, but I got used to it. A high quality children's construction paper can be suitable for quilling: it's usually thick and the colors are vibrant.

Cutting quilling paper strips

I cut paper using a craft knife and a metal ruler, several sheets at a time, as I wrote in Quilling Basics. If you are cutting more than one sheet at a time, it's almost impossible to get to the very edge of the sheet (the ruler won't allow this), wide strips of 3-4 cm (approx. 1 1/2 inch) are left. I use those strips to make fringed flowers, like the blue ones here.

Good luck!

UPDATE: The office paper I use is IQ color, A4 mixed pack, 80 gsm. These are packs of multiple colors, here in Israel I buy them from Office Depot. I also use the colored paper from IKEA's MÅLA packs.

27 comments:

Ana Baird said...

Great idea! Your latest creations are fabulous!

Inna D. said...

Thank you!

madhushree said...

gr8

Inna D. said...

Thanks

Anonymous said...

Hi

I love your creations.Fab! Here's a tip i discovered that saves you money on buying quilling paper and saves you time on cutting up sheets in strips. I use a paper shredder, its quick, clean and works a treat! You only need a cheap one (it will only be used for light paper), or you may be able to purchase one second hand.

Inna D. said...

Thank you! I somewhat disagree regarding using a shredder to cut strips. Here's what others say about it:
http://www.quilledcreations.com/quillingforum/showthread.php?t=1026,
http://quilling.blogspot.com/2007/09/quilling-strips-should-i-cut-my-own.html, and that's also what I'd learned from my personal experience. On the other hand, I just might haven't seen a suitable one.

Honeycomb said...

How about using a shredder for cutting the paper? Just a thought. I have not got one so do not really know how well it can cut.

Inna D. said...

Colourflower, I answered this question in the previous comment. Please have a look.

Anonymous said...

i use cartridge paper that i cut in long strips that i run through my manual shredder.the only drawback is that some time the sheet tilts slightly and i get short pieces. my art school gets various colour sheets so i have no problem with paper availablity. tools are made from chopsticks shaved to my liking and i use a piece of cork board to pin my designs in shape.

Inna D. said...

@Anonymous
Thanks for the useful information.

Gayathri said...

hi..i love ur quilling works..can we use chart paper for quiling..I am from Bangalore,India.

Inna D. said...

Thanks, Gayathri! I think chart paper is too heavy. In my opinion good papers for quilling are ones with 100-120 gsm.

pallavi said...

hylo......... i am from delhi and a beginer in quilling and its very difficult to find quiiling paper in india. can i use A4 size printout papers or the thick scrap book papers.

Inna D. said...

@pallavi, yes, you can.

Alodia said...

Very helpful! But may I ask if youre using a school ruler, how many lines does the strips should be?


#IloveQuilling <3

Inna D. said...

I'm sorry Alodia, but I don't understand your question.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thank you! Ever since I found out about quilling, I've been trying to find out what types of paper I should use for the craft. Of course I really wanted control over the color and size of the strips. Thank you so much! It was a huge help.

Inna D. said...

You are welcome :)

Shelly Schmidt said...

This is awesome- have you seen the Cheery Lynn Die that cuts quilling strips???

Anonymous said...

Your tutorials are fabulous for a beginner :) Any suggestions of what to do if I don't have the circles template you suggest using to allow the roll to "unroll" before you glue the end?

flower said...

Hi!
i recently started quilling and i totally loved it.your tutorials are a great help.
Can you please tell me that how wide should be the strips and can i make my own circle sizing board by cutting out different sized circles from a cardboard box like a shoe box.

Meena said...

Hi I am a beginnier. its very difficult for me to get quilling paper here in Bahrain. Can i use the childrens colour paper which they use for craft or scrap book. but the paper in scrap book is very thick. Please suggest me.

gayathri said...

I use a paper shredder. When i turn it once, It cuts 1/4 inch paper stripes 25 at a time. Brand is ESQUE. When I want colour combinations, I simply stick the edges of the papers, allow it dry and cut. Very easy.

Unknown said...

Cool. I dont have a paper shredder :( but luv your tutorial... thx!!! :)
#Innarules

jaybea said...

Quilling is going to be my next new challenge, and I was pleased to stumble across your page, your tutorial is easy to follow so hopefully what I do will turn out ok.
I have a scan n cut so I will use that to cut the strips of paper.

Unknown said...

Love all the ideas. I use a gilatine, and can cut about 4 sheets at a time, works like a charm. I have heard that you can also use a spaghetti cutter, going to try that sometime. I use colourful A4 craft sheets.

A.J. The Author said...

Thanks! I've been trying to find paper to use for quilling. I normally buy pre-cut paper, but I've been wanting to try cutting my own. Thank you for a wonderful post! I've been quilling for 4 years and I love learning new techniques and your blog should really help me out!