February 4, 2014

Quilled Mosquito

You must have already noticed my weakness for insects :-) I started thinking of making a mosquito out of paper when I was working on my praying mantis. I was in search of a gift idea at that time, focusing on insects for inspiration. Unlike the mantis, which have made a lovely gift for my art teacher, the mosquito stays with me. I'm somewhat reluctant to give it away.


As always, I started with research and sketches, thoroughly studying mosquito anatomy, and only after that set to actual quilling. The head, the body (thorax) and the abdomen are all made ​​with three-dimensional quilling. The legs are made of wire wrapped in yellow paper; for the wings I used paper cutting. The mosquito's back is fluffy like the 3-D quilled Totoro I created before.

My mosquito is a very kind creature despite the scary face, he is not a bloodsucker :-) Why? Because it is a male mosquito, and as you might know only female mosquitoes bite.

The mosquito is about 3 cm (1.25 inches) tall, and his puffy back is about 1.7 cm (5/8 inch) in diameter, its wings are about 2.5 cm (1 inch) long each. I've chosen the color yellow because it's bright and sunny, and usually evokes positive emotions.

19 comments:

quilled paper paradise said...

Amazing work! Impeccably detailed!

Helen said...

Inna, I just love it! Researching it before you made it made all the difference in the outcome. I like insects too. Helen Pierce

Cristina said...

waaw Inna this is amazing so real!!!! i love it!!! Is perfect!!! hugs

Paper Zen said...

Inna, what a refreshing take on a pesky pest! I burst out laughing when I first saw the photo. Wonderful!

Ann Martin said...

Most impressive!

Shylaashree said...

Inna, no words to write, i Salute ur creativity

Sathya said...

Inna...U have just blown us away by your perfection, creativity and an awesome detailing:)

Jasleen Kaur said...

Sheer Perfection!!

SD pooja said...

Fantastic Quilling !!

Nati said...

Amazing!!! Inna!

aureliaeugenia said...

Awesome work as always!

Nena3110 said...

I live near the river danube, and don't like mosquitos. But, this one is so nice and sweet.

ManuK said...

Inna, it's so good to see you back! The mosquito turned out fantastic! All your research paid off and the end result could easily pass for the real deal! :) I'm truly impress by your attention to details!

Keep inspiring!
Hugs!
Manu

Molly Smith said...

Awesome work, Inna! It turned out perfect and I enjoyed reading all the details :) xo

Квасова Ольга (Ольга К) said...

Инна, богомол шикарный! Очень люблю Ваши работы!

Barbara - The Quilling Time said...

Wow! I don't know what to say, because this work is so incredible. I'm totally speechless :D

J. Stacey- QuillingFun said...

Inna, here in Florida Mosquitos drive us insane because of all the rain and lakes that are close in proximity! I would much rather have your cute and darling mosquito! Love it! It is so tiny and love the thought process in its creation!

Daria said...

Wow, its impossible.. great work

quillingdee said...

Wow! Inna you are such an inspiration. Thank you for sharing your talent. #quillingdee.blogspot.com#