May 17, 2008

Easy to make decoupage candles

Decoupage candle with daffodils.

Making decorative decoupage candles is an easy craft that allows the whole family to have fun. My method takes about 15 minutes, not including drying.

For decorative candles using the decoupage technique I use a plain thick monochrome, usually pillar, candle, and a paper napkin with a beautiful pattern to be transferred onto the candle. You will need also white craft glue (PVA) and scissors. I prefer mixing the glue with some water to create an even, transparent coating. As already mentioned, the instructions are very simple:

Step 1: Separate the top designed layer from the napkin.

Step 2: Cut out a rectangular piece of it, big enough to wrap the candle. Try wrapping the piece around the candle to see how the pattern fits. Cut excess paper if needed.

Step 3: Create a thin coating of glue all over the sides of the candle. Kids love spreading the glue with their fingers, so I let them, or use a brush.

Step 4: Apply the napkin onto the candle, smooth it, and let dry.

Step 5: Then coat with another layer of glue.

Below are some examples of decorative candles I've created with my children.

Decoupage candle with pink flowers Decorative decoupage candle and a seashell
Decoupage candle with a star pattern Decorative decoupage candle with olives

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Inna,

I really loved the daffodil napkins u used for this candle... do you know where I could get the same or similar design?? I have a daffodil theme going and so I want to use them if possible...

thanks

mansi

Inna D. said...

Here in Israel I buy napkins in a large supermarket. Look also in party supply shops, usually they have huge selections of paper napkins. Check out craft stores, too, napkins are sometimes sold separately there. Good luck!

Inna D. said...

If you like, write your mailing address to my email and I'll try to send you a few.

Anonymous said...

Inna,

thanks...thats really sweet of u... i did check out some online party supply stores and found something similar...when I get it if i dont like it I will ask u to send me some!!!

Anonymous said...

hi, ur decoupage candles are just grt. ur how to explanations is very interesting and helpful. thanx for this grt idea. i am gng to try it out.

Inna D. said...

You're welcome :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you, this is an amazing idea! Your website is brilliant- and it's so generous of you to share so much!
Thanks

Anonymous said...

Brilliant! But i had a question; what if you have the candle for years and its caught some dust how would you clean it?

Anonymous said...

I have always used soap and water to clean my candles then dry them with paper towel. Not sure if it is the right way, but it works beautifully...:))

Anonymous said...

Hi Inna,
What a lovely idea. I bought some recently at a craft fayre. Silly question but can you burn secoupage candles.

Inna D. said...

@Anonymous
You can burn thick decoupage candles, just don't leave them unattended.

Anonymous said...

hi Inna ,
can i burn/light the decoupaged candles safely or are thay used for decoration purpose only
thanx

Inna D. said...

@Anonymous
Yes, you can burn thick decoupage candles. Thick candles burn inside without heating the outer surface to much. But please don't leave them unattended in any case.

Pallavi Sharma said...

It's a very informative blog regarding decoupage candles. Thanks for the sharing.