February 23, 2009

Penguin: 3D quilling miniature

Macaroni penguin (3D quilling)

Along with the traditional, I also enjoy doing three-dimensional quilling very much. Here's my new 3D piece &mdash a penguin. Here's how I made it:

For the bottom half of the body I used the total of about 145 cm (approx. 5 feet) of 3 mm (1/8 inch) back strips, glued together. I rolled them tightly and gave the roll the shape of a flower pot, then coated it with glue inside. The upper half was made in the same way, except that the "flower pot" is thinner and higher. For the head I made two semi-spheres, each one out of about 90 cm (a little short of 3 feet) long strip.

Macaroni penguin (3D quilling). Side view

Then I glued together the two halves of the body, the halves of the head and attached the head to the body. The wings are two quilled half circles or curved half circles (crescents), the tail is a quilled triangle. I used short orange strips for penguin's feet and beak. For his belly I rolled a loose coil out of a long (60 cm or 2 feet) and narrow (1.5 mm or 1/16 inch) white strip. Narrow black and white strips were used also for his eyes.

7 comments:

Jeanne said...

Hello!

This is a very cute penquin! Lots of work, but very cute. I wanted to add a comment not only for the great projects you share, but to also let you know I emailed you at your yahoo account with a couple of questions on your double fringed flowers. Not sure if you saw it or not.
Thank you for your time!
Jeanne

Sonya said...

Cute, cute, penguin, one of my favorite things! I haven't tried 3D quilling yet, even though I have a book. I think I will try the Pengee first! Thanks for your tutorials.

Inna D. said...

Thank you, Sonya. I love him, too :)
Can't wait to see your penguin when he's ready.

Swapna said...

Hi Inna,
I am a beginner to quilling and I am glad I found your website. You are very, very creative and I loved all your designs. Keep up the great work!
Regards,
Swapna

Inna D. said...

Swapna, thank you very much!

Anonymous said...

These are wonderful creations. I am so glad I found your site. I am hoping to teach my friend to do quilling and that we will be able to make our own penguins! Thank you so much for sharing your ideas.

Jasleen Kaur said...

That's the cutest penguin I have ever seen. I genuinely admire your work. Thanks for sharing it all. :)